Friday, February 29, 2008

A very scary day...

So if this is the way leap year's go, every four years will be too soon.
Olivia gave us quite a scare this morning. She was working a little hard to breathe, so I was planning on taking her to see the doctor when they opened. She continued to get worse and stopped breathing momentarily and then started gasping for air. I called 911 and we ended up flying to Peoria. She continued to struggle, so they decided to intubate her (she is now on the ventilator). It's so difficult to see her like that, but it's definitely what she needs. She is resting comfortably with her PICU family completely sedated. She continues to be a mystery to all. The original diagnosis was pneumonia, but that may not be the case. They are testing for everything under the sun to find out what may be causing this. She still has a high fever which they are trying to bring down by keeping her room freezing, blowing a fan on her, and wiping her down with cold washcloths. Brrrr....
Her heart is handling this okay. It is causing some distress, but they aren't too concerned - just trying to keep it under control. They have given her lots of blood and plasma. She has more medicine pumps now than during some of her previous heart surgeries. She has 12-13 different things going in her IV's. They did put in a central line and an arterial line to help monitor her more closely.
The hematologist is very confused with everything and would like to go ahead with the bone marrow biopsy next week while we are there just to get all possible information.
We feel so comfortable with Olivia being where she is now. She is very stable tonight and all the machines are doing the work for her so she can get her rest.
A HUGE "Thank You" to Sara for letting us throw Brooklyn at you this morning. Both the big kids are with Grandma and Grandpa C. in Avon and don't even have time to talk to us because they are so busy!
Please pray and we will keep you posted. I'm sure we'll think of more details tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

3 comments:

K & J said...

Sending extra prayers your way. I hope the dr.'s can figure out her diagnosis soon & she can be on the road to recovery. Let me know if you need anything. My kids are all on mend if you need a place to send yours ;-)

btw, we missed you tonight at the Mystery Dinner, but your reason for canceling your reservation seemed acceptable.

You weren't far from everyone's thoughts.

Kristen

Judy said...

Oh my goodness, I think I was holding my breath as I was reading this post! Bless your hearts, what a terrible day. I'm so glad to hear that she's in good hands in the PICU. We're praying for healing for Olivia, strength for you and Zac and wisdom for the doctors and nurses. Hang in there and know that we're thinking about you.

Heather said...

I heard the call come across the scanner - and I immediately called Ryan...to see if he was on rescue. I felt so hopeless! I was going to rush to the hospital to see if you needed me to watch the kids or bring them somewhere for you - but I found out that the kids weren't with you...at least by the time the responders showed up....you are in my thoughts love. You have such a strong and beautiful soul - I am in awe of you!