Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Keepin' the faith...

Wouldn't you know the day we get home from the hospital, our internet would be down! Oh well, it was probably a good thing, as it was a crazy night. I have so many stories from the past week or so I don't even know where to begin. Anyway, Olivia and I got home around 5:00 in the evening and got settled (at least a little settled). Zac and the kids rolled in around 6:30. The kids were really excited to see her, but quite frankly, more excited to see their long lost toys. I then went to reconnect with WalMart and picked up a few necessities, returning home to find Olivia's mediport bleeding. A lot. Ringgggggg....I call PICU, then Home Health. They came over to re-dress the area only to find out that the needle was completely out, poking Olivia and causing the bleeding. All this before 10:00 pm, but now all is quiet and calm - our first night home. Then, all of the sudden, Jack starts screaming. Can't sleep. His ear hurts. He's beside himself in pain. Maybe he should just try sleeping downstairs in the chair to keep his head up. Whatever. It's 11:30 - sleep wherever it doesn't hurt your ear. Then, I proceed to get up with Olivia for her meds at 12:30 and 3:30, only to have her get up at 4:30 to play. Ugh. Luckily, Zac gets up at 5:00, so I could sleep for another 1 1/2. So that's how are first night home went. Mind you, this is not all of Olivia's medications. There are still a few I haven't picked up from the pharmacy.
Just an idea as to how many supplies they sent home with us. Hey, at least I'm trying to be organized. They didn't send one of those handy supply carts with me. Next time, I'll be sure to request that.
Our first full day home, you ask? Home Health comes to put a new needle in the mediport, but it won't draw back blood. We absolutely have to have this lab drawn, so to the hospital we go for labs. Get home in time for lunch. Zac comes to watch the girls while Jack goes to the doctor for an ear infection. More medication. Our house seriously looks like a medical supply store, but you know what...I couldn't be happier!
I did take pictures of the kids, but I had the camera on a funny setting and they won't download. I'll have to work on that later.


Anonymous said...

So glad you got out and home. Maybe you can have some summer at home before school starts. I am soooo happy for all of you

Cathy Gibbs (Suzanne's friend)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Olivia was up at 4:30 in the morning. I swear she slept all night for me!!
Hope all is well take care.

Chrissy Hungerford, PICU

Jeep2000 said...

Sounds like a lot of toils the first night, but I'm glad everyone is home!

Cousin S