Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sounds like it's a go...

So far, so good. Olivia is still scheduled for tomorrow. She is definitely ready to go. Since I got here this afternoon, she has been kicking her precious little feet around and giving some of the biggest smiles I've ever seen. It will be a while before we see that again, so I'm enjoying every minute of it. She finally decided to take a nap, so I thought I'd update the blog.

I'm assuming Olivia will be the first case tomorrow. She is usually an all day case. I don't know, however, what time that will be. It's been over a year since her last surgery, so I don't remember all the details of the day. I think the hospital clergy come and update us about 4 times: 1. When they make the incision, 2. When she is put on the heart/lung machine, 3. When she gets off the heart/lung machine, and 4. When they are closing.

Then, the pastor will come and take us to a conference room, where we will anxiously watch under the door for them to wheel her by. We then wait for the surgeon to come in and tell us how it all went. The hours between updates are completely nerve racking. Because we haven't talked directly to the surgeon, yet, we don't know how long of a procedure this will be. I'm sure it all depends on if he will have to do both the subaortic stenosis and mitral valve or just the subaortic stenosis.

Anyway, as we get updates tomorrow, we will be sure to post as soon as we know anything. Please keep praying for all the nurses and doctors taking care of her tomorrow and for Olivia to stay strong through the entire process. She is so sensitive to everything. The surgery itself doesn't make me as nervous as the sedation and aftermath of the operation. We've got quite a fighter on our hands, though.

She'll do fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will definitely pray for all of you, and the Dr.'s and nurses taking care of Olivia tomorrow and the days to come. Sitting and waiting while the medical staff takes care of your child is very difficult, and knowing that our strength comes for our faith is a blessing! Our prayers are with you and we will be waiting to read the update.

Heather said...

I admire your strength in life. I can only hope to have a fraction of it one day...we will both most certainly be thinking of you - I'm a daily reader of your blog and get asked often by Ryan as to how Olivia and the rest of the fam is doing...tomorrow you will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers....

Anonymous said...

I will be keeping Olivia, your family and all of the physicians, nurses, etc. in our prayers tonight as you all prepare for her surgery tomorrow. Just reading through the past couple days...your strength is amazing...sounds like Olivia's is as well!! :-) Many blessings to all of you tonight, rest will be important! take care- Kara Grot