Wednesday, April 15, 2009

God's plan.

Olivia's not doing well. Her pressures have been lower and there have been problems keeping her oxygen saturations up. They tried her on a different type of ventilator and that did not help. She's back on the original ventilator with different settings.
We had to make some very hard decisions this morning whether we wanted to put her on ECMO or not. ECMO is a heart/lung bypass machine. The entire ECMO team was up here and ready to go when she started showing signs of improvement. We then decided that the risks and possible complications of ECMO would outweigh the benefits. If she were to go on ECMO there would be a great possibility that she wouldn't come off.
Right now, we are definitely not ready to let her go but we are relying solely on God's plan for Olivia. We are trusting in Him completely. She has shown some signs of turning around, but she really, really needs your prayers right now.

14 comments:

Sarah and Kieran said...

praying for Olivia and your family. I hope things continue to improve and you are all hanging in there.

Samantha said...

I've never met you but one of my friends has a link to your site. Since reading your blog the first time, I have been praying for strength for your family and peace for Olivia.

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say. I can't imagine the day you guys have been having but I hope you are all able to sense all of the hope, love and prayers that so many are wrapping you in.

Erika, RN

Anonymous said...

We are all praying really hard here! Keep showing those signs of improvement Olivia...we know you can!

Lynnette and all at MJSHS

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear of the change in Liv's condition today. I can't even wrap my mind around how difficult your decisions have been. You are all in my prayers

Jami, PICU

Leesa Palmer said...

We are all sending our prayers for Olivia. She has touched so many hearts.

Jill said...

Praying extra hard today as we have since we heard Olivia was in the hospital. Praying for His will to be done and peace for you and your family for today. Olivia is a little fighter and we are just praying so hard for her. May He hold you in the palm of His hand - Jill Gerst

Anonymous said...

Praying for all of you, for strength and peace in your decisions.
Teri

Judy said...

Oh Julie, my heart is aching! Everybody's napping right now, so I'm going to spend some time really, really praying! I hope you've got some family there with you! We love you! We love Olivia so much! We are NOT ready to let her go!

Nic said...

Oh Julie....I wondered why you have not called today. Prayers are coming you way from this house! I love you all so much...call me if you need ANYTHING!! nic

Anonymous said...

You are all in our prayers - your family --- all of them, Oliva of course, and the medical staff. It is hard to give everything up to the Lord knowing that His will might not be our will...

Linda

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I don't even know what to say, besides we are saying some BIG prayers today and will continue to. I can't even tell you how much my heart is aching for you all today with having to see Olivia go through all of this and fo you to have to make those decisions. Please know you are in our thoughts!
Love,
Jen Weber

Anonymous said...

Praying, praying, praying! Please let me know if there is ANYTHING you need! Love you guys!

~ Kim
PICU

Anonymous said...

I'm lifting Olivia up in my prayers and asking for the Lord, our Prince of Peace and our Healer, to bring His perfect peace to that hospital room. And that Olivia would have marked improvement in the next few hours.
In His love,
Rebecca Schappaugh